Swallowing me whole!

Sorry for the lapse in time between posts.  So what has happened….

I finished Level 1 Combatives Certification so that is pretty cool!  Made it through the punch drill and everything 🙂  I’m not big into fighting but once we started rolling at about 30-40% strength, it began to get fun.  This was we could practice our techniques but not feel like we were kicking the crap out of one another.  I enjoyed it.  Don’t think I’ll be doing level 2 anytime soon though!

It felt like there was a huge lull between January and February drills.  It was really nice.  Every week felt like it should be drill week and then I’d happily surprise myself!  Alas, drill did eventually arrive.

February was our last slow OCS drill weekend before our new class starts up in March, along with our senior class completing their 10 mile ruck march and heading to the field for the first time.  It was nice to have one more slow weekend to catch up on mandatory training, especially with my NCOIC absent from drill for the second month in a row.  I need my right hand!

My NCOIC competed in the Texas NCO of the Year Competition that weekend and came in runner-up!  I was very proud of him.  He’s pretty awesome at Land Navigation and Road Marching but he also kicked butt on the Obstacle Course.  Now it looks like he will be moving on to the regional competition in Kansas since the winner cannot attend.  Woohoo!  I’ll be rooting him on from here as I’m sure I won’t be able to attend.

Immediately after drill weekend my boss, NCOIC and I headed off to New Orleans for a conference.  Yes, I’ll give you a moment to note the date – week before Mardi Gras?  Why yes it was!  Not that it matters too much since Bourbon is always crazy.  Did I mention our awesome Wyndham hotel was at the corner of Bourbon and Canal Streets?  Oh yes, we had that going for us too!

Needless to say, the conference was not the closest thing in our minds, though we did manage to get some work done.  Our battalion had some productive breakout sessions that helped the trip feel worth while – besides the fact that we were able to let off a bunch of steam.  My coined phrase for the week was “functional hangover”.  I had a great time hanging out with the people I work with and also making some new friends.  I believe it was a “Whatever happens in New Orleans, Stays in New Orleans” week, except for all the crazy stories I told my husband – HA!

After taking a couple of days to recover, work hit me and the title of my post comes into play.  I decided on Saturday that I would need to begin my work week early.  This meant leaving the San Antonio home on Sunday and heading north.  I arrived at Camp Swift later on Sunday and rushed head first into some of my necessary tasks.

On Monday, I was able to get my NCOIC to work as well and we were able to get a lot done without the distraction of other people in the office and tons of phone calls.  I worked late into the night on Sunday and Monday, feeling as though I was only uncovering more and more things I needed to get accomplished.  Then I hit a block.  I realized that when my computer had restarted on its own the night before, I had lost the piece of work I’d spent so much time on during my long Sunday evening.  I was crushed, tired and hungry, as I’d been staying in the barracks and felt like I hadn’t eaten since I arrived.  It was time to take a couple of things to get me started once again, and head home for the night.

Charlie and I enjoyed a nice meal that evening because I purchases a rotisserie chicken.  He loves when I get those because I always give him the fat and skin – oh happy doggie day!  Besides eating, I wish I could say I had a better night, but I tossed and turned for hours, thinking about my impeding work.  It was a short night.

PT with my NCOIC got me up early.  After a good breakfast, I was ready to begin again.  The day seemed to be going as well as possible, making headway on certain items, until I got a phone call at 3:30.  I am to brief the LTC tomorrow morning at 8:30.  I’m WHAT?!  Oh yes, it was on my calendar but I didn’t notice it.  Add it to my plate!  Oh wait, I guess it was already there.  Anyway, my boss went through all the slides with me and I felt as prepared as I could be.  Luckily it’s not new material and nothing I had to create.  Just gotta do the best I can!

So I headed to the house again tonight, only for the fact that I got into Austin tomorrow and my house is between my two working sites.  Might as well, right?  If not, I would have pulled another late-nighter and stayed in the barracks.

As I drove home tonight, I talked my husband’s ear off.  Seriously.  I talked for about 30 minutes about what is going on and all the things I need to accomplish.  Sometimes it’s just nice to talk about it even if he doesn’t understand 95% of what I’m talking about.

So there you have it!  From my last couple weeks to finding me in my bed right now.  I’m tired and the day starts early again – but with a brief to the LTC!  Oh well, kind of humorous in a way.  One thing at a time…


About turtlesandstrawberrywine

Just another girl living in Texas, trying to make the most out of life with my husband and pups!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s